Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 3:44 PM
Subject: Coca Cola Cake
Somewhere out there is a cake recipe for "Coca Cola Cake." It uses a bottle of coke (no kidding).
It might be a sheet cake.
I would love to have that recipe. The cake is delicious
See below. Cracker Barrelís version is here: Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake
Coca Cola Cake
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. Coca Cola (use the rest of the bottle in the icing below)
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
2 c. butter
Combine flour, sugar, cocoa and soda in mixing bowl. Heat butter and Coca Cola to boiling.
Pour over flour mixture plus eggs, marshmallows, buttermilk and vanilla. This makes a thin batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Bake in greased 8 x 10 inch cake pan.
1 c. toasted pecans
1/2 c. butter
3 tbsp. cocoa
6 tbsp. Coca Cola (remainder of bottle)
1 box confectioners' sugar
Heat butter, Coca Cola and cocoa until boiling. Pour over confectioners' sugar. After beating well
add pecans and pour over hot cake. Pecans can be toasting while oven pre-heats.
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 2:47 PM
Subject: Recipe Request for Pasta Sauce
I am looking for the recipe for the tomato sauce from a RI restaurant that closed years back named Asquino's. It was the best.
Sorry, I had no success with this. Iíll post it on the site
Thanks to Mark, below are recipes for three of HoJo's pies from the original kitchen manual.
Pineapple Pie Two Crust - 5 - 9" pies.
1 No. 10 can crushed pineapple
2 lbs sugar
2 oz. butter
3 oz. cornstarch
4 egg yolks for coloring
1. Drain off juice
2. Bring juice and butter to boiling point.
3. When it reaches boiling point, add cornstarch, mix with sugar and cook until clear.
4. Add egg yolks, pour over drained crushed pineapple and mix well.
5. Line pie plate with crust, put 3 cups of filling in shell, wash edge with white and
cover with top crust. Seal pie well.
6. Wash top crust with pie topping.
7. Bake in 500 degree oven for 10 minutes, then lower the oven to 400 degrees and bake until golden brown.
Mince Meat Filling Approx 30 lbs of filling.
3 lbs 12 ozs of meat
6 lbs 4 ozs of sugar
3 qts of stock
8 1/2 lbs of apples
2 1/2 lemons
2 1/2 lbs of raisins
2 1/2 lbs of currants
1 1/4 cups of vinegar
3 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
3 1/2 teaspoons of nutmeg
2 1/4 teaspoons of cloves
1. cook meat until tender (use chuck) and save stock.
2. Put meat through coarse food chopper.
3. Wash raisins well and drain.
4. Chop apples coarsely and add to hot stock.
5. Chop lemons fine.
6. Add all ingredients except the meat to apples and cook until apples are tender.
7. Add meat and cook together for a few minutes.
8. Remove from fire. Cool. Store in crock in cool place. Use as needed.
Blueberry Pie 1 - 9" pie
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries.
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
Sprinkling of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
Note: Sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoon of sugar over the bottom crust before adding filling.
1. Mix blueberries with sugar and flour.
2. Add to lined pie plate and dot with butter and sprinkle with salt.
3. Wash edge of crust with egg white.
4. Top with crust cut in center.
5. Wash top crust with cream.
6. Bake in a 400 degree oven until golden brown and berries are cooked.